Thursday, February 7, 2019

When I Grow Up


I had a conversation last week that I couldn't stop thinking about.

I was in a meeting with some of Chelsea's therapists and teacher, and someone mentioned, "You know, Chelsea is doing SO well at following her visual schedule! That is really going to help her once she is working in a laundry room or something."


I know that many, if not most, life skills children are taught to do things like wiping tables, doing laundry, etc., not only for their own self-help skills, but also as a future job. Many of those kids do go on to be janitors and fold towels. I have nothing at all against that!

But that isn't what Chelsea wants to do.


Why is it that with typically-developing children, we ask them what they want to be when they grow up, and when they say they want to be a fireman, or teacher, or doctor, we encourage them and help them lay out a plan, but special needs children get overlooked?

Are Chelsea's dreams of being a dress model and dog walker less important? 


Should we assume that she will only be able to choose between being a janitor or laundry girl, and therefore only train her for those two options?

My vision for Chelsea's future is so much greater than that! I truly believe that Chelsea should get to do whatever she loves when she grows up.



Her most recent ambitions are 
1) A model
2) An elephant keeper 
3) A dog walker
4) A Disney princess

So you bet I will do everything in my power to help her achieve whichever career field she wants to! If she wants to help with the elephants, I will take her to the zoo as often as she wants and see what junior zookeeper programs I can find for her.

If she wants to be a princess dress model, I can learn how to do hair and makeup so she feels beautiful, and have photographer friends get pictures of her!


The most important thing is that I want Chelsea to be happy. To be excited to wake up in the morning and "go to work" when she is older. I want her to enjoy what she does, whether it is an actual paid job or a program that she attends and adores. 


I don't want her stuck in a job that someone assigned her and some company feels obligated to give a pity job to the girl whose is "slow", and no one talks to her during the day. Doesn't sound fun, does it?

Now, yes, I do know that that will require quite a bit of work on my part. My husband and I will need to plan and save and save and plan. 


But I have great hope for the future. 

I love Chelsea and love her dreams and hopes for the future, and I am determined to give her every chance at living her dreams. 




No comments:

Post a Comment