Monday, February 18, 2019

The Quiet Baby

I get complimented at least daily on how well-behaved and quiet my baby is. And I always graciously thank them and say that she is by far my easiest baby. Because it is true! She is a very quiet, well-tempered baby.


But some days, those compliments tear at my very soul. 

Because my baby is very, VERY quiet. She doesn't babble. She doesn't coo. She rarely even cries or fusses. 


And babies NEED to do those things. That is what teaches them to speak. Because of the SATB2 diagnosis, speech will be very, very hard to come by. 


I remember with my (typically developing) son as a baby, I thought I would lose my mind sometimes because of his constant, incessant crying and very loud babbling and squawking. 


But he is now a kid hat never stops talking. And even though I do wish sometimes that he would allow me to have a little bit of mental peace, I am grateful 100% of the time for his speech, even if it comes at the price of no silence ever around him.

With my SATB2 baby, I work every day on trying to elicit ANY noise out of her, trying to get her to realize 'hey, I can make a sound!' 

If you have a baby or toddler and feel like your head is about to explode or ears drop off from all the noise, and wish that your baby was as quiet as mine, just remember that other moms wish their babies would make noises like yours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment