Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Comparing Mom "Perfection"

In an episode of Speechless, the special needs moms get a new member of their support group- Becca, who seems to be perfectly put together.

She had perfect hair and makeup, brings a gorgeous homemade dessert in a homemade box, and when they visit her house, she has a walk-in pantry that was Pinterest heaven.


I have met lots of these moms, but when I get to know them, I find out that yes they are amazing, but also, they all have some flaws; we all have things that just don't get done.

Let me tell you- I was sooooo relived to find that out, because I was convinced that compared to others, I would probably win an award for World's Most Mediocre Mother.

Me? I loathe giving the kids baths. I detest every second of it- the suds that always get in their eyes, the water that gets EVERYWHERE and makes me have to mop after, the slippery kids that seem to instinctively find a pile of dirt immediately after baths, and roll in it.

Then OF COURSE I compare myself to the moms whose children are always smelling flowery, with clean, cute hairdos, and rosey cheeks from their mom actually washing their faces daily with a washcloth.

Those are not my kids...


In my house, lots of things DO get done! I am super OCD about filing papers neatly, making healthy snacks, reading daily for 30 minutes, and doing therapy.

But other things, not so much. I already said how much I hate giving baths, I never do dance parties with my kids, I can't even tell you the last time I washed my sheets, I always end up putting my foot in my mouth when I meet people- I am not eloquent at all, and I am a terrible listener.




We all try to show our best side, I know I do! But I have also realized that no one does it all.

We do our best, and try daily to improve, but sometimes, things just don't get done.

And that is okay. We all have strengths AND weaknesses.


Comparing my weaknesses to someone else's strengths accomplishes nothing but lowering self-esteem, and how often do we do that?

The answer- too often.

We all do our best, and that is EXACTLY what our family needs.


Every child, every family is different, and has different needs. Moms know what those needs are, and use their unique skills to fill those needs.

Moms, you are awesome!!! Forget comparing- YOU are exactly what your family needs!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment