Thursday, July 27, 2017

Special Needs Mom Pressure

Recently, I read an article about the mixed messages for "millennial" moms, which I am. Part of the article:

"Watch your kids closely and constantly. There are tricky people lurking among the aisles of Target. But not too closely. Come on helicopter mom. Calm down!"

And...

"Babies do not spoil. Hold them. Rock them. Co-sleep. Except don't. They need to self-soothe"

Seriously, I loved that article. It so perfectly captured what I have felt as I try to parent my two children who are polar opposites.




I wanted to add on just a couple of mixed messages that special needs moms get:

  • "Do home practice for therapy! You need to be working on schoolwork, speech, fine motor, and gross motor every day. Remember: don't miss a day or your child is doomed! But don't stress! Good grief, woman, why are you so tense??Just be happy!"


  • "Advocate for your child! You should be able to get everything and anything in your child's IEP; don't take no for an answer! But don't actually say anything to make anyone upset. School workers have feelings too, you know."

  • "You need to take time for yourself! Let the housework go, and focus on meeting your own needs. Except when someone is coming over, then everything needs to be immaculate."

  • "It is great that you are so open about your child's disability! We need to be aware of these things! But not too open, my goodness do you talk about anything else??? You need to be your own person."


No comments:

Post a Comment