Thursday, June 15, 2017

SATB2 Summer Schedule

I love summer! It is my favorite time of the year- pools, parks, library trips, lazy board game days at home- I like it all! 
I
also enjoy having the kids home, and in order to keep up with Chelsea's therapy and education, I do an informal homeschool as well.


We put together a schedule where the mornings are devoted to having fun, getting in private therapy, and going on little outings to splash pads or parks. The afternoons are for learning. Saturdays are for the big all-day outings, or just chilling at home and doing nothing at all.



Mondays:
  • Library
  • Park and picnic
  • Speech therapy
During the library visits, I really make sure that Chelsea does mostly everything herself to work on self-help skills: returning books, finding new ones, checking out, etc.


The park is for fun and gross motor. If I feel particularly ambitious one day, I will bring things for a gross motor game that the school therapists have recommended. For the picnic, Chelsea has to pack her own in the morning (part of her morning routine), open everything herself, and take care of trash, close containers, etc.


Tuesdays:
  • Occupational therapy
  • Pool

I really like the occupational therapist that Chelsea sees. They do lots of heavy work, climbing different structures, lifting up while prone in a hammock, fine motor, gross motor, craniosacral therapy... If and when I go back for a masters degree, I would seriously consider being an OT.


Wednesdays:
  • Speech therapy
  • Playgroup
  • Life skill outing
In speech therapy 2-3 times/ week, Chelsea's SLP uses a combination of visual prompts, the K-SLP apraxia method, and PROMPT techniques to work on goals like increasing MLU (how many words in a sentence), clarity of words, etc.


I also take her to a church playgroup to get exposure to kids other than her brother for social skills. Chelsea tends to attract kids willing to play with her, but rarely does she reciprocate, so they will leave. We are working on that.


We also do a life skill outing, such as ordering for herself at a restaurant, making a purchase at the dollar store with her chore money, etc. Something she would need to do in the community as she ages.


Thursdays:
  • Occupational therapy
  • Park


Fridays:
  • Speech therapy
  • Splash pad or pool






No comments:

Post a Comment