Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Speechless


I am not a big TV person- we don't even have our television connected at our house. BUT, I will look up a couple shows online, and my very favorite is "Speechless".



This is a show about a teenage boy who has cerebral palsy and has a super advocate mom, and his life in high school. A couple things I LOVE about this show:


1. The star actually has cerebral palsy. Anytime I hear of a person with a disability living their dreams, it gives me so much more hope for Chelsea! She can live her dreams too!!!


2. It shows a person with a disability as normal. This is a kid who likes girls, wants to go to high school parties, teases his siblings, everything! People are people, regardless of disability.


3. It shows some of the cold, hard realities of having a child with disabilities. Sometimes the walls won't get painted, the yard work and laundry will go undone. Sometimes your other kids feel less important or left out, because their sibling has greater needs.


4. It makes me laugh, and I need that! Watching this show is one of the best parts of my week because I get to laugh about the craziness of life with a child with a disability, and some of the antics we get up to (like making a principal cry).


5. It is a whole lot easier to watch a show and become more comfortable with the idea of talking to a person who uses alternative communication devices. I know it makes people uncomfortable when someone is "different"- I used to feel the exact same way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment