Wednesday, July 27, 2016

SATB2 School Prep 1

The beginning of the school year is always nerve-racking for me. SATB2 Associated Syndrome is so rare that I can't ask what training the teachers have had in it, because specialized geneticists don't know what it is! 

Therefore, I try and do a training meeting for everyone on Chelsea's IEP team, and make each team member "Chelsea Folders"! Most team members have loved these!

Here is what I am doing to prepare for the start of school (part 1)!

1. Make an All About Me page!

I usually include things such as her likes, strengths, weaknesses, and a little information on her disorders. I also include pictures, because I like to hold meetings before the start of the school year, and the team hasn't met Chelsea yet. I write it as if Chelsea is speaking

Here is Chelsea's info page:



2. Make a page on SATB2 Associated Syndrome! (or for whichever syndrome/ disorder your child has)

For this, I have found that team members get overwhelmed with too much information (so won't read it), so I keep it very brief and to the point.

An example:



3. Make a page of your child's favorite words/ signs/ verbal approximations. Chelsea has more than 300 words now (yay!), so I separated her word list into categories, like "People" or "Animals" or "Places".

Doing this helps the team members to listen for specific words. One of Chelsea's favorite phrases is "Minnie Mouse happy!", and then the team members know to listen for an approximation of Minnie Mouse. Our kids want to be understood!

I stopped writing down all of her signs, because she has more than 700, and there is no way I am going to spend hours thinking of each and every signs and recording it

For example:

 
Did you get what she said? It is hard to understand when you don't know what to look for. This is Chelsea counting to 9!
 
Good luck preparing for the start of school! To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment