Tuesday, February 12, 2019

"That Problem"

When I was first learning about Chelsea's diagnosis, I went and met with a geneticist. He was supposed to tell me about the syndrome and advise me about the likelihood of this happening again in a future pregnancy. 


After he gave me information I already had (he had googled it a few minutes before meeting with me), he started to discuss the likelihood of another child having the same disorder. He said that it wasn't likely, but that if we did have a pregnancy that tested positive, they could "take care of that problem" for me. 


That one sentence felt like a punch to the gut. I remember sitting there, holding my sweet little girl, and looking at her, wondering if the whole world would only ever see her as a problem.

I wondered if people see her life as less valuable because she has a tiny piece of DNA missing. How many people would not hesitate to end her life because they want a "better" baby? 


Chelsea brings her own set of challenges, it is true! But no child is without any problems. And even with all those challenges, Chelsea brings joy to our lives. She is excited about every little thing, and has an infectious smile. 

I hope that others see the value in my daughter, instead of thinking of her as eyesore or problem to be kept away from the "normal, healthy" public.

I think that every life is valuable. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment