Sunday, February 24, 2019

SATB2 Chores

It takes a LOT of effort and practice to get our SATB2 kids to clean up after themselves. But it is well worth the effort!

RIGHT NOW, it is easy to pick up after Chelsea, and soooo much faster to just do it myself. 


RIGHT NOW, she throws huge fits about having to pick up, or wipe the table, or put her laundry in the washer.


RIGHT NOW, I have to not just get the house clean, but also that I have to teach Chelsea the importance of doing the chores herself.


RIGHT NOW, it is so much easier to not force her to scrub her hair or wash all of her body and just count soaking in the tub as getting clean.


RIGHT NOW, I often think about how fewer headaches I would have and how much more rested I would be if I just did everything myself.


BUT, I don't do that. I am trying to think about the future, 5, 10, or 20 years from now. 

EVENTUALLY, I don't want to be in my 60s and picking up after my 40 year old.


EVENTUALLY, Chelsea will need to know how to do her own laundry and be motivated to get it done.


EVENTUALLY, serious health problems will develop if Chelsea can't keep up with her hygiene. 


SO- that means that right now, I need to make Chelsea do her jobs, however big a fit she may throw.

SO- here is what we try to do daily to get Chelsea to learn to do things herself.

1. We have a morning routine to help her get dressed, make her bed, all the "Up and at 'em" type of jobs


2. We have her do daily chores that she gets paid for once a week if she does them every day. Right now, she is in charge of keeping her room tidy, picking up crumbs under the table after meals, and cleaning up the playroom.


3. We have a bedtime routine- bath, brush teeth, take medication, all the things she needs to do. 


4. We also assigned her a cooking night once a week where she cooks for the family. Right now, it is a lot of sandwiches! But her goal is to learn to make 6 simple foods this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment