Thursday, June 14, 2018

Monster Day

As often as possible, and especially during the summer, I try to do home learning activities with my kids. And to make it more interesting, for them and myself, I vary the themes. This time, it was a Monster Theme!!!


Stories: Go Away Big Green Monster, Sesame Street stories, Fun with Ed and Fred. (I really like the Big Green Monster for the repetition, and Fun with Ed and Fred is a great early reader book with good sight words)


Songs: 5 Little Monsters Jumping on the Bed, and 10 Little Monsters. My son loved acting out the "jumping on the bed" part


Reading: I had Chelsea read some of the words in the books we selected for today, after I had already read through them. I also asked both kids questions like, "What did Cookie Monster wish for in this story? Did he get what he really wanted? What did he get instead?"



Writing: For Chelsea, I had her trace the letters for the word "Monster". I had my son sound out and spell "M is for Monster"


Gross Motor: We have a string puppet "monster" that the kids took turns using to chase the other all around the park. They were laughing hysterically by the end and it was LOTS of fun!



Movie: Naturally, we had to watch Monsters, Inc!!!


Art: I gave the kids some random craft supplies- markers, ribbons, feathers, cotton circles, all sorts of things. And had them create their own monster. There was glue all over, and the kids were SUPER happy!


Fine Motor: This was went along with art, and I had the kids cut some things. Chelsea is still working on cutting several snips in a straight line, and I had my son cut out an M. Chelsea used adapted scissors that pop open




No comments:

Post a Comment