Monday, November 6, 2017

Teaching Reading to SATB2 Kids

I am a HUGE believer in teaching every child to read. With a basic reading and writing level, the ability to care for oneself skyrockets! 

You are then able to make a grocery list, follow a recipe, follow a basic map, complete a to-do list (think job skills!), have enjoyment from a mentally stimulating activity... I could go on for forever!



When we consulted with the first genetic counselor, they told me that with a child whose IQ is 41, she would never be able to read. That maybe she could learn letters if I worked diligently, but to never get my hopes up. 

Being the competitive person I am, I told them that I accepted the challenge! I know Chelsea is not incapable of learning. She just needs different methods and a little more repetition! 

I checked out books on teaching children with learning disabilities to read, and this one was by far my favorite (see below). It was dated, and geared for children with Down Syndrome, but had all the information I needed, and it WORKED!!! Titled "Teaching Reading to Children with Down Syndrome; A Guide for Parents and Teachers"

In the book, it says to focus on memorizing sight words that have meaning for your child. The basic words that they teach as sight words in kindergarten have no meaning whatsoever to Chelsea! As, if, but, or- why would she bother learning those words?

Backing up quickly- when I decided to take it upon myself to teach Chelsea to read, she was 5  and a half years old, knew her letters, and the school had written home to say she was unable to learn any words. 

So after reading that book, I wrote out a bunch of Disney princess names, and when Chelsea came home, I showed her that each princess had her own name card. Within 2-3 repetitions, Chelsea was able to identify ALL the names independently!!! 


Within a week of using this method, Chelsea was able to jump to 20 words that she knew on sight, including family names! Even kids with low IQ scores CAN learn to read!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment