Thursday, October 19, 2017

How to Ask About a Disability

It seems that in this age of everyone being offended, people are scared to ask questions about things we aren't familiar with. I have been anxious to ask when I don't want to offend someone, and I see it with people wanting to ask about Chelsea but don't.


Now to preface, some people are more open, and some more private. This is just what I prefer when people ask about Chelsea:

WHAT TO ASK:


1. Do you mind if I ask about your daughter? I was curious about her speech delay.

2. I noticed your daughter is signing! I took some ASL in high school, and love it! Is she deaf?

3. Wow, she has the most amazing smile! How did she lose her teeth?


Basically, remember to use manners! Start with something nice, and then ask politely. Most parents I have met are TOTALLY okay with talking about their child's disability. It can be a big release for us to do so.

WHAT NOT TO ASK/ SAY:


1. What is wrong with your kid??

2. I see that your daughter has some problems. Is it because you _____? (don't talk to her/ let her watch too much TV/ vaccinated/ don't read to her/ injured her as a baby)

3. Oh, my cousin had that, but then they ____ and are cured now (used essential oils/ ate all organic/ prayed with faith)


So here, just have basic manners, and don't blame the parents! If you don't want me criticizing you as a parent, please extend the same courtesy to me. We all are doing our best.


No comments:

Post a Comment