Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Teaching Reading



I had been working on Chelsea-chosen words for reading, but then decided to try some of the Kindergarten sight words. So, being the obsessive list-maker that I am, I made a plan- to teach Chelsea 25 new sight words every two months. It is a challenging, but still reasonable, goal for her. We work 10-20 minutes a day of strictly learning/ reviewing sight words.


The words I started with are:
  • See
  • Me
  • So
  • Do
  • To
  • Am
  • It
  • At
  • He

  • The
  • Up
  • You
  • On
  • Like
  • I
  • No
  • Can
  • We
  • A
  • Go
  • An
  • My
  • In
  • Is
  • And

Most of these words have little to no meaning for Chelsea, so I made up sentences for her to read, using the words she already learned that are motivating for her combined with new sight words:

1. Ariel is a girl like me
2. I like Cinderella
3. Mommy and Daddy like me
4. Tiana and Ariel are my friends
5. You are so nice
6. We go up the stairs
7. Do you see Snow White?
8. Sleeping Beauty is on my bed
9. I like Jasmine and Belle
10. I can go see Rapunzel
11. I can go to Grandma's house
12. I see an animal
13. Dopey is a dwarf
14. I can do anything
15. Can Chelsea do it?
16. He is on the table. No! No!
17. Gaston is in my house
18. I am at Grandma's house


The other thing I do is send little notes in Chelsea's lunchbox/ snack bag. They aren't ever very long, but use words to help her practice her reading, and her aide/ teacher helps her read them. They would say things like:

1. I like you! I love you! You are a happy girl
2. Do you like your blue dress? I like your blue dress! (and have the blue dress drawn under)
3. Chelsea is a girl! Chelsea is a nice girl! Mommy loves Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment