Wednesday, August 10, 2016

SATB2 School Prep 2

I already wrote about the first 3 pages in the yearly folders in SATB2 School Prep 1. These are the other pages I put in the folder.

4. Osteopenia and Seizure Information!

My little gal has complex partial seizures and osteopenia, and it is important to let the IEP team know why she looks zoned out, and why she needs extra help in APE (adapted physical education).


5. Questions for IEP Team Members

I go back and forth on how to address this every year. Part of me wants to grill each member of the team right then and there, but I also don't want them feeling put on the spot or attacked. Other times, I tried asking questions in a 1:1 setting, but again, they felt grilled. *sigh* Does anyone else feel frustrated when we are constantly told to "advocate, advocate, advocate" and when we do, people say their feelings are hurt and your relationship deteriorates? But I digress. I already wrote about Questions to Ask your SLP and IEP team.



This year, I am putting the questions in each team member's folder about Chelsea, and asking that they respond to the questions they feel comfortable answering when they have the time. Ask the aides what they feel their purpose is! Is it just changing diapers, or actually contributing to the child's education? In what way? 

I am also adding questions for the principal/ district personnel:

  • How do you select the teachers and therapists that work in your school?
  • How do you make your teachers and therapists better?
  • Is professional development individualized or is everyone all together?
  • Every school has a weakness. What, in your opinion, is this school's weakness?
  • What is your expectation for special needs students?
  • How do you want parents involved in this school?
  • Do you think effort or results matter more for a typically-developing child? Does your answer change if the question is about a special needs child?
  • How do you measure success? (As in, do they have a clear mission? Long, vague answers do not indicate that they have a clear purpose/ mission)
  • How do you keep raising the bar to find out what kids can do?
6. Apraxia Information!

My first 2 years of doing these pages... Oh my poor team. 5 pages of solid type explaining in detail the intricacies of this neurological disorder, all the effects it had on everything... I doubt anyone read it all the way through. So now- KISS! Keep It Simple, Stupid! If you can, toss in info on how it affects your child at school. That makes the team happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment