Friday, July 15, 2016

The Power of To Do Lists

Having two kids keeps me crazy busy from before sun up to past sun down, every day. To prevent myself from going actually crazy, I have fully embraced to do lists!!!

I have used to do lists daily since college, but after having two kids, I have to live by them! I love checking off boxes, and feeling the peace of mind that comes with not forgetting appointments, and having a constant visual reminder to work on therapy, have fun, etc.

I change up how my to do lists look, what is on them, etc., about once or twice a year, just to keep things fresh and new. Whatever works for you is the one you should pick!!!



1. Make a "To Do" list EVERY DAY!!!!! For me, I write out 3 copies of my daily to do list on a piece of paper, then copy a bunch and cut them once a month. I fill out one every day with the appointments from my master calendar on the wall and little things I need to do (mail letter to Grandma, etc). On my Daily List are things like:
  • Workout
  • Journal, pray, read scriptures
  • Read non-fiction 15 minutes

  • "Be Gorgeous" (my husband wrote this on my list in place of shower and get ready, and it stuck)
  • Personal Project for 15 minutes!
  • File papers 10 minutes (SO MANY papers for special needs!!!)
 
  • 2 loads laundry
  • Load of dishes and plan dinner
  • "Power Hour"- clean up to music for about 30-45 minutes before dinner. We rarely need a full hour




2. Make a list for things to do with the kids!!! It is hard to remember everything, so I list:
  • Read aloud 30 minutes
  • Have FUN!!!
  • Speech practice
  • OT practice
  • Gross Motor activity
  • Tidy up kids' room (they are learning to do it, and I supervise)
  • Medication and vitamin tracker
  • Sing 5 songs

  • Listen to uplifting/ classical music
  • Play outside 30+ minutes
  • Learning Time (academics, practice circle time)

  • Devotional
  • 10 minutes 1:1 with each child
  • Work on life skills
(I also keep lists of ideas for things like OT, speech, devotionals, songs... pretty much everything so I don't have to come up with things on the spot)

HAPPY PLANNING!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment