Sunday, January 3, 2016

Speech Games in the Car

If your family is like ours, especially if you have a special needs kiddo, you probably spend a lot of time in the car, driving from therapist to doctor to therapist! I try to use the time in the car as productively as possible, since the kids want to talk, and it is easy for them to focus, since they are confined to car seats! These are our favorite games in the car.

I think most people have played categories, but in case anyone hasn't: choose a category, then everyone takes a turn thinking of something until we can't think of any more. I have to help Chelsea think of some. I give her clues like "maybe something that is big, grey with big ears and a long trunk and lives in Africa". That is doubly helpful, because then she is working on her receptive language and deduction skills in addition to her expressive language by saying it.


Categories Car Game
Food
Dessert
Animals
Colors
Shapes
Numbers
Letters
Princesses
Clothing types
Things in a garden
Fruits
Vegetables
Things with Protein
Sports
Musical Instruments
Things in the sky
Things at a park
Things with wheels
Books
Movies
Things in a house
Things in a city
Things in a country
Things on a hike
Songs
Body Parts
What is something ­color?
 
I Spy
Again, everyone has played this, and it is great for playing in the car!
 
Name That Singer
This next game is Chelsea's very, very favorite game and she always begs to play this one. I sing a line from a song (usually Disney princess-y) the kids know, and have them guess the singer/ movie/ play where we heard it. I also drew pictures of folksy songs and put them in sheet protectors and put them on rings so the kids can flip through and pick songs that they want to sing with me. We like singing!
 
A dream is a wish
Someday my prince will come
I know you, I walked with you
Little town, it’s a quiet village
So this is love
I can’t belive I’m stuck with her all summer
Cinderelly, cinderelly
Part of Your World
Let It Go
Reindeers are better than people
First Time in Forever
Do you want to build a snowman
Summer (bees, they’ll buzz)
Love is an open  door
Fixer-upper
Far Longer than forever
Robin and Little John walking through the forest
Once there was the sun
That’s what you do for a friend
Super Readers- who looks into books
When somebody loved me
You’ve got a friend in me
I will be your wings
We are Siamese if you please
This is the night, and they call it a night…
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Feed the birds
It’s a Jolly holiday with Mary
 
Stories
We also tell lots of stories in the car. We make up long stories that can take a month to tell, which is fun, because then the kids have to think about what happened last time and tell me what they think will happen, and tell me about how they feel about the story, or what different characters in the story are feeling. I also tell familiar stories and have the kids try to tell it back to me. Chelsea is still working on learning how to do this.
 
Cinderella
Snow White
3 Foolish Wishes
Rumpelstiltskin
Ugly Duckling
Goldilocks and the 3 Bears
3 Billy Goats Gruff
King Midas
Peter Pan
Little Red Riding Hood
3 Little Pigs/ Wolves
The Princess and the Pea
Jack and Beanstalk
12 Dancing Princesses
Rapunzel
Sleeping Beauty
Puss in Boots
Beauty and the Beast
The Little Mermaid
The Frog Prince
The Little Red Hen
Thumbelina
Tom Thumb
Hop ‘o’ my Thumb
Hansel and Gretel
Devil’s 3 Golden Hairs
Stories about the kids
Stories about when Mommy and Daddy were little
 

No comments:

Post a Comment