Sunday, January 31, 2016

Learning ASL and PECS

When Chelsea was born, before we knew about her special needs, I had already anticipated teaching her a little bit of sign language. I knew the signs for "Mom" and "more" and "milk", and that was about it. When she was a year old and not babbling, I started trying to teach her those signs. We did hand over hand every time we used those words, but even after 8 months, she didn't understand the concept.

Chelsea signs "school" on her first day of school in 2015


Because she wasn't catching on and I saw no progress, I gave that up and focused my energy on other areas of her development. At her two year evaluation with our early intervention program, the speech therapist recommended that we try ASL again. I decided that maybe it would be worth it to try again after a 4 month break, and had just had a new baby, so began teaching sign to both kids.


Since I knew no sign language, I started borrowing Signing Time videos from the library and watching them with Chelsea. They were great at teaching sign! I learned quickly, and Chelsea liked them too. She started picking up ASL slowly but steadily, and at 2 1/2 years old, knew 9 signs- go, stop, Mom, Dad, more, thank you, please, candy, and water. At 2 years 8 months, Chelsea knew 33 signs, and continued to increase her ASL vocabulary until now at 4 years 10 months, has about 600 words in sign.




This
We also took Chelsea to a deaf church on and off for about 6 months, and are going to go again soon. We loved it so much because everyone there understands sign, but most were actually not deaf, so could hear and speak as well. Usually, families would have one deaf parent, and so attend that church, but all the other family members are hearing. Chelsea's sunday school teacher would sign and speak at the same time, which is what we do at home, so it was a perfect fit!



is
Once Chelsea knew all the signs from signing time, I took a couple ASL classes at a community college and tried to go to a few deaf events to pick up more sign. I am by no means fluent, but I know enough to teach my preschooler the words she wants to express. I HIGHLY recommend it!!! ASL is such a fun language, and if you are willing to stick with it and keep on teaching your kiddo, they will surprise you with how much they have to say!



my cake
The only downside to ASL is that few people understand sign, especially since Chelsea has limb dyspraxia and her signs look generalized and are difficult to understand. BUT it was a lot more understandable than her speech!





with candy
Side note: I signed with my typically- functioning (aka "normal") son from the time he was born, and he started signing back at 8-9 months, and did so frequently until he started talking in sentences at about 15 months. He will now translate all of his sister's sign language, but doesn't really use sign language anymore unless I specifically ask for it, or if he thinks someone is not understanding his words and gets frustrated with them (and that is hilarious!)



We also used PECS to help with the communication barrier. (Chelsea didn't say her first word "Mama" until she was 2 years 9 months old).

I started using PECS before I knew what it was. I took pictures of some of Chelsea's favorite things (her brother, blanket, applesauce, read a book, etc), laminated them, and wrote the word on there. I put magnets on the back, and Chelsea would pick one off of the fridge, and hand it to me. Once when her EI speech therapist was over, Chelsea toddled out of the room and came back with her "I want applesauce" card, and the speech therapist introduced me to PECS.

Signs star for starfish


I can't even explain the relief I felt when she was able to communicate what she wanted. Chelsea would cry and cry and I had absolutely no idea what she wanted, so would offer food, drinks, check for a diaper change, check her temperature, give her Tylenol, snuggle her, take her outside, read... I would go through that checklist multiple times a day, desperately trying to meet my child's unspoken needs.

With PECS, she could point to what she wanted so that I could understand her. She progressed to where she would carry around a little binder with about a hundred pictures inside it of things she might ask for, and would flip through the pages and hand a picture to me.


Chelsea signs "book" at the library


PECS was really nice because I would drop her off for about 4 hours a week while I coached gymnastics, and the daycare providers had no idea what she wanted. Once, she was signing please, and they thought she had a tummy ache, so held her over the toilet so she could throw up. I have so many babysitter horror stories... Chelsea stopped PECS once her sign was really picking up around 3 years old, because ASL is so much faster than flipping pages and pulling off cards, and her hands were always accessible.

I think ASL and PECS are great tools for any kid- special needs, typical, gifted, or whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment