Monday, May 6, 2019

Weight Gain for SATB2 Babies

I have two kids diagnosed with SATB2 Associated Syndrome. We found out about Chelsea after years and years of searching for a diagnosis. With Lily, we found out when she was just a month old, and had already been down that road before, so we have a major head start this time! 


Because I already knew that poor weight gain was highly likely for my second SATB2 sweetie, I found as many ways as possible to sneak in calories! And at a year, Lily weighs about 6 pounds more than Chelsea did at a year old, so I think it is working!


1. Extra Feedings

Okay, this is your golden ticket when you get an early diagnosis and are breastfeeding your baby. Babies DREAMFEED!!! Use this method, use this method, USE THIS METHOD! About every 2 hours after Lily went to sleep, I would go and feed her. Yes, that means setting alarms and waking up multiple times each night, but it is SO worth it!


I just pick her up, and let her nurse until I knew she had a good feeding, then gently put her back down. She never wakes up and boom, she is good to go! That is an extra couple hundred calories each day right there!


2. Peanut Butter, Cottage Cheese, Avocado

Once Lily could start on solid foods, I started pushing high calorie foods as often as I could. I weeded out the ones Lily didn't care for (like Vienna sausages, and honestly I couldn't blame her on that one!), and offered ones she liked just about any time I passed the kitchen.


3. Fish oil

I really do believe in fish oil! It helped Chelsea with speech, and I am hoping that by starting Lily early, she will get more speech progress, and earlier at that! I read that fish oil helps with brain axon myelination, which Chelsea was low on when we had an MRI done on her at 2 years old. 


Before Lily could take this herself, I took some, hoping that it would go through the breastmilk to Lily. Not sure if it did or not, but Lily was on her own supplements at 6 months. We use the Nordic Naturals ProEFA 3-6-9 kind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment