Sunday, January 20, 2019

3 SATB2 Supplements

When you have a child diagnosed with SATB2 Associated Syndrome, there are 3 supplements you may want to consider:


1. Calcium and Vitamin D

One of the main symptoms of this genetic syndrome is that there is a decreased bone density from an early age, which can later lead to osteoporosis. 

In order to slow down the rate at which the bone breaks down, I give Chelsea calcium and vitamin D supplements. Make sure to do both! Vitamin D helps the calcium get absorbed! 



2. Probiotics
A common problem with SATB2 kids (though not across the board!) is very, very loose stools. And they get sick all the time, and for longer periods of time than other "typical" kids! SO- probiotics helped us with that! 

I don't give them all the time because it gets expensive, but will grab some about every other month, or any time I hear about a nasty virus going around. I also rarely use the same brand twice in a row, and will get the refrigerated kinds, which have a much higher concentration of the culture strains, which is better. 



3. Fish Oil


My favorite one to talk about!!! Kids with SATB2 often have decreased myelination of their neuronal axons (not enough "good fat" in their brains). Giving fish oil supplements can help with this.

With my SATB2 baby, I saw that she didn't lose her startle reflex for a looooong time, which the pediatrician told me was indicative of an underlying neurological impairment. Once I started her on fish oil at about 7 months, she lost the startle reflex a few weeks later. Coincidence? Possibly. 


With Chelsea, I gave her fish oil starting at about 3 years old, and that was when we started to see more speech progress. Again, it could have been a coincidence, since we were doing lots of speech therapy too. But many mothers have reported an increase in speech once they started fish oil, so I will keep it up! 

And funny story- when Chelsea started taking fish oil, her typically developing little brother always wanted some so he could be like his big sister. So I would always give it to both of them. And he turned out to be a little genius kid, so I have sometimes wondered if the fish oil played a part in that. 



So there you have it! 3 supplements that are great for SATB2 kids! 


No comments:

Post a Comment