Monday, May 29, 2017

SATB2 Grocery Shopping

One thing Chelsea's teacher suggested for this summer that I LOVED was to encourage her to be more independent in the community! So today, we did an independent grocery shopping trip!


Step #1: Make a list
For Chelsea's list, I did dotted outlines of the words "CHELSEA'S LIST" for her to trace.

Then, I had her cut out a few pictures of things she likes from ads, and tape them onto her list. Chelsea picked apples, blueberries, and ice cream.



Step #2: Go to the store
At the store, I wrote "29" next to the ice cream for her to find the aisle that the ice cream was on. The produce is right by the front entrance, so I didn't worry about that.


Step #3: Pick out the foods on list
Chelsea was in charge of finding everything by herself, and picking out the kind of each food she wanted. She LOVED the freedom, and wandered around looking for things, but did a good job! I was impressed!


Step #4: Pay by herself
I wanted to have different dollar bills for her to look at and decide which one was enough, but I made the bad choice of taking Chelsea shopping on a holiday, so people were not very accommodating with how slow we were. But Chelsea put everything up on the conveyor belt herself, and paid!



Step #5: Enjoy the foods
After we got home, I let her eat her apple and decorated her ice cream with blueberries, and she was so so happy to eat the foods that she picked out!



Notes:
  • It was super difficult for me to rein in on my prompting, and to not say "Did you look by the front door for the blueberries?" or "Are you SURE that this isn't the aisle?"

  • I'm going to be doing one of these short shopping trips each week so that Chelsea gets used to doing some grocery shopping for herself. Good skill to have!


2 comments:

  1. This is really good. We should start training our little ones to start doing things from an early age, so that they grow up into independent young adults. This is nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete