Friday, March 18, 2016

Potty Training: Preparation

I can't even begin to express how nervous I was starting potty training with Chelsea! She was almost 5 when we started, and her geneticist told us to not expect her to ever be potty trained. Challenge accepted!


I elected to use the RTT method of potty training, rather than the "go when you are ready" method that I used for my son. It worked for him, but I knew Chelsea would need something else. So... the preparation!

1. Ship off your other kids to family, in-laws, something for at least the first part of training. I knew I wouldn't want anything else to deal with during potty training, so I had my husband take off work and take my little guy on a little trip to see my in-laws. SO worth it!!!



2. Make an "Activities Box". I put together about 100 fun activities that we could do while sitting on the potty. If you need ideas, look up things like bed-rest activities for toddler, games for in the car for preschoolers, etc. I will list all mine later.



3. Put together a "Prize Box". I went to thrift shops, dollar stores, and searched clearance racks. I used the "1 M&M per potty success" for my little guy, but that won't cut it for Chelsea. We picked out glow sticks, necklaces, puzzles, stickers, candy bracelets, squishy balls, foam beads, and a flashlight. I also had some cute shirts with her favorite characters for poop prizes

4. Load up on salty snacks and your kiddo's favorite drinks. I wanted Chelsea to eat things to make her thirsty, then load her up with fluid! More success opportunities! I kept everything right in the bathroom or just outside of it so we wouldn't have to leave at all.

5. Clean-up Station! I had a bucket with paper towels, air fresheners, cleaners, washcloths, towels, soap, and a couple changes of clothes for me and Chelsea. Have a big trash can close by, as well as a laundry hamper.


6. Freeze casseroles! I froze several casseroles  because I knew I would NOT want to cook anything after a long day of potty training. I also loaded up my fridge with ready to go salads, yogurt cups, baggies of veggies and fruit, etc., for me and Chelsea




7. Gather undies and pull-ups! We needed about 20 pairs of underwear, plus a big box of pull-ups (which we didn't use until Week #2).

That is the prep I did leading up to potty training! I didn't do anything with Chelsea other than saying occasionally, "I am so excited! You are going to learn to use the potty soon!!! You will love it!"


1 comment: