Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Early Reading Games Part 1


Flyswatter Game!!!

This one is one of my kids’ all time favorite games!!! They get to run, and I get to sit, so I love it too! Super easy- just stick up letters all over the walls. Tape them up written on paper, foam letters taped up, whatever you like. Then give each child a clean flyswatter and they have to swat each letter you call out.

To make it harder, call “Hit the letter that makes the ___ sound” or “Hit the letter that starts in hippo” or similar. You could also do shapes, sight words, colors… Very adaptable game!
 
 


What makes the ___ sound?

There are tons of variation for this. It is a great game for the car, or while on walks.  If you are walking by a tree, say “There is a willow t-t-tree! What letter makes the tih sound?” or “How many things can we think of that start with R? R sounds like rrrr. Let’s start with rhinoceros!” Then do “Look, I found an S on this Stop sign! What sounds does S make?”

 
Subtitles

This one is just because I am lazy and want to feel better about sticking my kids in front of the TV while I make dinner. I always turn on the subtitles for movies for a little extra literary exposure. Every now and then if we get fancy I have them call out when they see a letter from their name in the subtitles.

 
Reading

I’m not insulting your intelligence here! Everyone knows that we are supposed to read to our kiddos 20-30 minutes every day. When you read, I am sure you stop every now and then and ask “Who can find the letter ___?” or “Who can find the word Baby?” or “Who can guess what this page is about?”

I also make books for my kids about themselves. They love seeing themselves as the heroes in the books, and even if it is “Chelsea Gets a Brother” or “Ryan Learns to Use the Potty”. I will bold some words and put them in red, which draws the kids’ attention right away. I use this to have the kids learn new sight words, and especially if they help write the book or suggest words they want to learn, it is really motivating for them.


 
Clues Sight Words

Once my kiddos can recognize a few sight words, I will put down some flash cards and give clues to help them identify what word I am talking about. I really like this game because it makes them mentally sort through what the word is based on the clues, and which sight word matches the word they are thinking of.  (I recently posted a video of Ryan doing this on my facebook page)
 
 
 Endless Alphabet (Or Reader) Apps

Okay, here is another idea for when I am lazy or sick or whatever. I love, love, love this app! It has the outline of each letter, and when the child drags the letter over to the outline, the letter makes it’s sound. When placed in, the says the name of the letter, then when all letters are filled in, it says the name of the word and defines it. The reader app takes it one step further and has the child fill words into a sentence. Then there are cute short videos after you finish a word/ sentence about little monsters who act out a scenario with that/ those word(s).

 

 Sensory Bin Sight Words

Hide sight words written on cardstock in your sensory bin! This one is fun because it involves sensory exploration and sight word reading. I have also attached the words underneath puzzle pieces in the bin, so the child fishes out the puzzle piece, reads the word, and places the puzzle piece in it’s correct place.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment